What to do in Chesapeake
Looking for what to do in Chesapeake during your stay? Chesapeake is a popular destination for outdoor activities like golfing, fishing, hiking, biking and boating. For those wanting to stay indoors, visit our nearby shopping malls, museums, and local restaurants. For an extra escape, check out the sites in Norfolk and Virginia Beach or take a day trip to the Outer Banks and Richmond.
- American Rover Tall Ships
- AMF Bowling Center
- Children's Museum of Virginia
- Chilled Ponds Ice & Turf Complex
- Chrystler Hall
- Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
- Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
- Greenbrier Mall
- MacArthur Center
- Nauticus & Battleship Wisconsin
- Princess Anne Athletic Complex
- Towne Place at Greenbrier
- Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art
How To Get Here
Check out some of the great things to do in Chesapeake:
- Towne Place at Greenbrier - Shop national favorites like Chico's and Jos. A Banks; enjoy fine and casual dining at places like Geisha Japanese Steak House, Surf rider, Spaghetti Eddies Pizza Cafe, or Jersey Mike's. Relax with a variety of spas, beauty services, and more.
- Greenbrier Mall – Shop ‘til you drop at the nearby Greenbrier Mall. With popular department stores such as Sears, Dillard’s and JC Penny, there is something for everyone here.
- MacArthur Center - Find the latest trends at stores like Nordstrom, White House/ Black Market, Coach and more.
- Abuelo’s - The Abuelo’s story is simple. Extraordinary flavor, impeccable service and memorable experiences at a great value.
- Ang’s Sushi Bistro - Sushi that looks like pure art.
- Black Pelican Chesapeake - Mid-Atlantic coastal cuisine in a casual setting.
- Big Ugly Brewing (Opening Feb 2016) - Chesapeake’s first microbrewery, founded by local craft beer enthusiasts.
- Passion - Locally owned, serving up refined tapas, fine wine, and also offering kitchen side cooking classes.
- Pirate’s Cove Restaurant - Upbeat eatery with a broad menu of local fish, steaks & casual eats in a colorful, family setting.
- The Butcher’s Son - Classic American steak and fish house.
- The Cutting Edge Café - New American cuisine, serving fresh food, fast.
- AMF Bowling Center – Chesapeake Lanes – Strike! Bring your family and friends to the nearby bowling center for a fun night out.
- Chrysler Hall - Catch a Broadway play, symphony, ballet or pop concert at Norfolk's popular Chrysler Hall.
- Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach - Our 20,000 seat outdoor concert venue regularly hosts the biggest names in popular music.
- American Rover Tall Ships - Experience Norfolk seaside. Sign up for a 2-hour narrated naval base cruise daily from Nauticus. You'll enjoy an entertaining and educational account of the Elizabeth River and Hampton Roads Harbor history.
- Chesapeake Arboretum – Explore the great outdoors and at the Chesapeake Arboretum. Stop by the Arboretum headquarters, an eighteenth-century farmhouse surrounded by beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Chilled Ponds Ice and Turf Sports Complex – Sports fans will love this indoor complex featuring an NHL skating rink and turf field. Popular sports include hockey, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, baseball, dodge ball and kickball.
- Dismal Swamp Canal Trail – Follow this 8.5-mile outdoor trail that runs along the Dismal Swamp. The trail welcomes walkers, joggers, and cyclists.
- Golf Courses – Popular nearby golf courses include the Battlefield Golf Club at Centerville, Chesapeake Golf Club, and Cahoon Plantation.
- Princess Anne Athletic Complex - Athletes will love our eight lighted tournament-quality softball fields and seven multi-purpose playing fields (football, soccer, etc.).
- Battleship Wisconsin – Take a self-guided tour on one of the largest and last battleships built by the U.S. Navy.
- Children's Museum of Virginia - Spend the day as a scientist, star gazer, banker or farmer at the Children's Museum of Virginia.
- Nauticus – Not just your average science museum, Nauticus is a maritime-themed museum with interactive exhibits, entertaining films, demonstrations and more.
- Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art – Learn about the art of our time through exhibitions featuring sculptures, paintings, photography, and videos.
Universities & Colleges
- Regent University - We're a 10-minute drive from Regent University.
- Norfolk State University – We're a 15-minute drive from Norfolk State University.
- Virginia Wesleyan College - We're a 15-minute drive from Virginia Wesleyan.
- Old Dominion University – We're a 25-minute drive from Old Dominion University.
- The Outer Banks, North Carolina -Just off the coast of North Carolina, the Outer Banks is known for it's expansive beachfront and a large number of shipwrecks. Be sure to visit the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras Village.
- Richmond, Virginia - The capital city of Virginia is popular for great shopping, historic sites, fine dining and more.